The Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw was officially established in 1947, but its nucleus in the form of the Jewish Historical Commission, created by the decision of the Central Committee of Polish Jews, had existed since 1944.
Since its inception, the Institute has been located in the building of the pre-war Main Judaic Library, whose walls survived the fire caused by the Germans on May 16, 1943, during the blowing up of the Great Synagogue at Tłomackie square. Today, the Blue Skycraper stands on the site of the synagogue at Bankowy Square.
The Emanuel Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute has had the status of a state cultural institution since 2009.
The Emanuel Ringelblum Jewish Historical Institute
ul. Tłomackie 3/5
tel: (22) 827 92 21
fax: (22) 827 83 72
How to get to the JHI
15 — Plac Bankowy stop
E-2, 222, 520 — Plac Bankowy stop